Saturday, September 14, 2013

Napa Girls Trip

A few weeks ago, I met up with my high school friends for our annual girls trip. This year, my friend JJ had to be in San Francisco for work and we decided to tag along and extend her trip with a visit to Napa. I had never been to either SF or Napa. It was the longest I've been away from the girls ever!

The trip was great! We spent the first night in San Francisco. We drove around the city, saw the Golden Gate Bridge, had some yummy seafood, rode on a trolley and caught up with all the craziness of each other's lives.

Then we drove out to Napa and started our weekend of wine off at In-N-Out Burger. Gotta get a good base. We drove around and stopped off at random wineries. Pretty much everywhere we went, the tastings included 1 white wine (either Chardonnay or Sav Blanc) and then 3 reds. My favorite types of wines are Sav Blanc and Cabernet, so I loved Napa!

On Saturday, we went to Heitz Wine Cellars (nice back patio area), Freemark Abbey (met the Cellar Mistress) and Castillo de Amarosa (took the tour of the whole castle). Our wine tasting at the castle was in the basement, which was pretty cool. When the tour guide said, if you are claustrophobic, you may have a problem because we are going to be in the caves for the next hour and a half... I was a little worried. I'm usually not good with caves and tight spaces. I think the wine helped, though! :)

On Sunday, we booked a tour so that no one had to be a designated driver. We stopped off at Flora Springs (super cute tour guide), Hill Wine Company (dog friendly winery), Rutherford Ranch (chocolate and wine pairings = awesome!), and St. Clair Brown ("urban" winery in the city limits of Napa).

We drank lots of wine, enjoyed the beautiful weather and relaxed = a perfect weekend!


Golden Gate Bridge

Driving down the famous curvy Lombard Street in SF

Why have I never been here before?

Wine tasting in the basement of the castle

Told Matt this was what I was bringing home

JJ and me at Flora Spings

Crystal, JJ and me at Hill Wine Company

Our tour group at Rutherford Ranch - chocolate, anyone?

Crystal, JJ and me at Flora Springs

JJ, me and Crystal at Heitz Wine Cellars

We tried the grapes - very small and seedy

At Castillo de Amorosa

Our wine tasting set up at St. Clair Brown

1 comment:

Sue said...

Sounds and looks absolutely fabulous. I could copy that exact trip right now and be so happy! (Will there be a post about how Matt did with the girls without you?)