Sunday, April 11, 2021

Testing week at Karate

They test every few months for lower level belts at karate. We had just joined after the last testing, so this was our first belt testing. They spend a week evaluating the kids and then have a ceremony to award the new belts. 

The kids also get to do some fun things like break a board. This time it was with your foot. You'd be surprised how many kids get up there and get scared to break the board. I wasn't sure what Morgan would do, but she crushed it! :)

 

They have quite a lot of levels for the younger kids before they hit yellow. I think this is so the kids feel like they are accomplishing something and moving up without just doing the solid color belts. You can see the belts up on the wall above the mirrors.



Morgan moved up to the yellow/orange striped belt. I thought this was really great after being there less than two months! She talks about getting her black belt and really enjoys karate. :)


After the testing, they hand out trophies for kids who have done well with their paperwork (like reading logs, chores at home, choosing healthy foods, etc). Morgan really wanted a trophy, but I told her that she most likely wouldn't get one because we hadn't really turned in many sheets this time. But, she got the healthy eating trophy! :)



Great job, kiddo!








No comments: