Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Mohs

So, after a trip to the dermatologist and a biopsy, turns out I have not one, but two spots of basil cell carcinoma (skin cancer) on my face. I had the first one removed today. They do this by Mohs surgery, which is process of shaving off the cancer in stages so as not to take too much and scar your face too bad. So, they numb you up with lidocaine and then remove what they think is all of it. Then, they test it to see if they got it all. If they did not, you go back in and repeat the process until they get it all. While they test it, you wait in the waiting room for about 45 minutes each time. It's a long process. I think I got there at 9:00-ish and left around 2:00-ish. The spot was tiny, but the incision was huge (compared to the spot!) We'll see what kind of scar I get from this. Ugh.

This is me right when I got home. They put a ton of packing bandages on your face to control swelling, so half my face is covered! The incision was not this big (although it felt like it at first - ha!). This stays on 24 hours and then it has to be changed twice a day until the stitches dissolve.



No comments: