Monday, July 21, 2025

Family Vacay - Day 3 - Kayaking, Beach Time and Family Pictures

On Monday, we took advantage of the cooler weather and went kayaking in the morning. Since the kids are still too young to kayak by themselves, we had to split up into two groups. Sandi was back in Chicago for a work event and Erin has three kids. :) So, the older kids went first with me, Ross, Matt and Brett.


I tried to take a few pictures but I didn't want my phone to go in the drink! I had forgotten my waterproof case thing. I was with Morgan this time and Matt was with Avery. I nicknamed Morgan "the human brake" on the way out, but she made up for it on the way back.






We saw lots of ducks and turtles on our ride.


The second group went after us. Erin shared this awesome photo with us! No one fell in the river this year - yay! Last year, Brett and Calvin flipped their kayak right by the dock and went completely under it.


While the second group was going, Matt and I took the older kids to the main street for some shopping and ice cream at Nancy's.





After all the kayaking/shopping/ice cream, we met up at Stray Dog for lunch. It was packed, as usual. I told the kids I would give them $5 if they tried the hot sauce on the table. Morgan and Calvin were right on it, but Nolan said "ah, I'm good". He did not want to try it!

It didn't take long once we were back at the house for the kids to beg to go back down to the lake. Erin had bought some boogie boards, so they wanted to try them out. And Avery was really determined to make a sand castle!


Not a lot of waves when we got there, but it picked up a little bit later so the kids could try out the new boogie boards.





On Monday night, we ordered pizza from Villa Nova. We were getting family pictures on the beach, so dinner time was kind of messed up. We've been getting pictures with this same person for years! We missed a few years during Covid when we had to go to other cities. But anytime we're in the New Buffalo area, we look her up. Once the pictures come back, I'll post them. But, we took a few of our own! We couldn't have asked for a better night... not too hot and the sunset was beautiful!
















As is tradition, at the end of the picture session, the kids all want to go in the lake. Usually, Avery is the only one that skips this part. But, this year Avery jumped right in with all of them! Morgan wasn't feeling good this night, so after her dip in the lake, we went back to the house while the kids swam for a bit.






No comments: