Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stocking up at Target

Last night, I went to the South Loop Target to pick up the essentials for this weekend. Matt and I are going on a float/camping trip in Missouri. My friend Crystal and her sister Tara get a group together every year... this is the first year I have tagged along. We are going to the Huzzah Valley Resort.

I don't have the best prior experiences with floating down a river or camping...

The last time I went camping was with Erin for the 3-day walk and that went pretty awful... HUGE thunderstorm! We had to take cover in the middle of the night in a nearby gym, we got no sleep, some people's tents were flooded or blew into the lake... awesome times. It's kind of a family curse, because every time my family went camping when we were little (which was not that often), it would POUR and we wound up sleeping in the car or in my grandparents' camper.

The last time I was in a canoe floating down a river was in high school for a class trip. I was with my friend JJ (who is also coming on this trip with her husband Jerry) and we started floating faster and towards the bank and right for a low hanging tree. As I remember it... at the time, my first reaction was to jump out of the canoe into the river, which I did. Her initial reaction was to duck, which she did. Much better idea. She ended up dry a few feet down the river and I ended up soaked. Awesome. I think that was the first and last time my HS ever went canoeing as a class trip... some girl actually almost drowned (got caught under the canoe).

Anyway, with that said, I'm looking to improve my record this weekend. : )

I'm sure I've just jinxed myself now.

No comments: