Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Keep an eye on your Dominick's card, folks!

On Tuesday, I got a voicemail from a Glenview police detective saying something about my Dominick's card being used at a Glenview Dominicks. I'm thinking... this is not a big deal to me. It's a discount card, not a credit card. So, I didn't immediately call back. Well, since they couldn't track me down, they somehow found Erin's number and called and left her a message... a very brief, vague message asking her to call the detective back. She was in Vegas waiting for her flight home. She totally freaked out that something bad had happened. Once she talked to the detective and he calmed her down and gave her the scoop, she called me to tell me what was going on.

I guess these two kids somehow had my card (which I don't even have a card myself... I have to put in my phone # every time, so I have no idea how they ended up with it!) But, the kids stole a bunch of stuff from the store and then beat up a couple of the employees. They couldn't ID one of the kids because he was out of camera view. Well, they thought maybe I had lent my card to someone and I would know who this was or something... right, like I'm friends with houligans who beat up cashiers?!?!

Anyway, I ended up talking to two different detectives about the case and told them I really had nothing that could help them. They asked me if I had a younger male sibling, which I said I had a "little brother"... of course, by "little brother" I meant a 26 year old man not a high school kid. So, the cop was like "um, not exactly what we're looking for here". I guess Brett's always going to be "little" to me no matter how old he is or how much bigger he is than me! : )

I think I'm done with the interrogations since they could find no reasonable connection between me and these hoodlums... but how the heck did they end up with that card? Maybe they are the ones that broke into my car... but I don't think I had any extra Dominicks cards laying around in there? Or maybe I dropped it somewhere and they found it? But where... I don't think I've ever been to Glenview. Who knows.

Ahhh, the joys of living in a big city.

Update: I just talked to the detective and they have a suspect and are arresting someone today. They're going to ask him how he got the card and find out if he's connected to the break-in of my car. Not that I will get anything back if that is the case... I'm sure my pink golf clubs and brand new tent have long been sold by now.

No comments: