Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Note to self... part 2

Never park your car on a street in Chicago and leave anything in there that you might want to see again... even if for just a day... even if you think it's a safe area.

I had a nice surprise back at my car last night when I got there after work. I was parked over in the West Loop by Matt's house, right off of Madison (which is a really busy street). I was hoping I didn't have a ticket on my car and was happy to see there wasn't one, until I realized something else was really wrong. When I opened the driver's side door to get in, I noticed there was stuff all over and I thought to myself, I didn't leave it like this. Then I looked across to the passenger side... which was full of glass. I was getting a nice breeze from the space where a window had once been. Someone had bashed in the passenger side window and broken into my car. Awesome.



They stole my relatively new golf clubs, a brand new tent I had just bought from Target, a car tool kit and who knows what else. They did leave me my pitchfork, though. Why wouldn't they want to steal this, too?!? It even lights up! : )



You may be asking... why was I driving around with a pitch fork in the back of my car... we had been keeping it in the golf bag in the garage (seems like an appropriate place, right?) and I hadn't taken it out when I threw the clubs in the car to go to Peru last weekend.

I think they also left the screwdriver they used to break the window with because there's one sitting in the front seat and it's nothing I remember owning. Stupid criminals.

They went through all of my compartments and threw stuff around. I doubt I had anything else of value in the car, though, which is good. The golf clubs were not expensive, the tent was about $60 and I have no idea how much the tool kit was. But, needless to say, the total is under my $500 deductible for stolen property. The window is supposed to cost $210 to replace, which is also under my $500 deductible for damage to my car. If they all fell under one deductible, then I'd be in business, but one is covered under my auto insurance and the other is covered under my renter's policy.

Tomorrow, the glass guy is coming to my place to put in the new window. Good times.

1 comment:

ahow628 said...

Just keep in mind that if the total had come up to more than the deductible, it may still be in your best interest not to make a claim. A claim is a claim and goes into your rate calculation, regardless of whether or not it is your fault. At my company, we count any claim over $250 in your rate calculation.