Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Decade of Dedication



That was the theme of the Sammy Fund event this year = 10 years! I think I missed just one of them when I was working in the Netherlands. I'm sure my golfing skills were not missed! ; )

Weekend recap...

Friday afternoon, Matt, Brett and I loaded up my dirty old car and drove to Quincy. It was a long drive, but we made good time. My uncle Chuck's friend hosts a party at his house on Friday night every year, so we checked into our hotel and headed over there. We had a few drinks, watched June on the local news and visited with everyone. I tried to find a video of her from the news, but I could only find audio from the radio program that she had done earlier. You can check that out here!

On Saturday morning, we got up bright and early for the 5k run/walk. It was a chilly morning, but the sun was shining and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Ready to run


I decided to do the run this year instead of walking. I did ok, but I have no idea what my time was. I forgot to check that out when I finished. I ran the first mile way too fast, but finished up at a better pace.

As is tradition, we all went to Jed's Brewhouse after the run for some chili dogs and beer. This year, Jed's donated the chili dogs and asked for food donations that they gave to the Sammy Fund... awesome!

Jed's Brewhouse


Yum... chili dogs!


Me and Gramma


After that, the girls went wedding dress shopping for Erin for a little bit, while the guys went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch football. Matt went golfing with Chuck and his friends... he had to practice up so he could carry our team on Sunday!

Saturday night, we all got together at my aunt Pat's house.

Chuck models his birthday presents from my mom... all at the same time. I think he looks ready for the Bahamas!


The Ottes threw Matt and me a couples shower and got us a nifty new set of luggage - such a nice gift!!!



My gramma gave us a guest book to use for my wedding and signed it from her and my grampa since they won't be able to make it to the wedding - very sweet!



We also got to practice our cake cutting/feeding skills. Matt failed miserably... he smashed the cake in my face! What a brat!!!





Since the whole fam was together, we took some pictures.

Gramma and Grampa with the grandkids


Me and Matt with Gramma and Grampa


Gramma and Grampa with their kiddos


Chuck "borrows" my camera


Some people went to the boat to lose their money, but I crashed! Too much wine, beer, food and good times for one day!

The big golf tournament was Sunday morning - tee off at 10:30am. We went over to my aunt's house to help the boys prepare their costumes. Every year, my cousins and brother dress up and this year was no different! They went back to the crowd favorite - the golfing Elvises. The masks were actually "tiny Elvis", but worked out fine. Vicky dressed up as Priscilla and Colin had some cool shades with side-burns.

The Golfing Elvises


Ready to tee-off


Elvis on board


Our golf team was my Dad, Ross, Matt and then my sister and I switch off - she plays the first 9 holes and I play the second 9. We ended up even par for the day, which is better than some years where we were in the plus range and "won" the prize for highest score. Now that we have Matt on the team, we don't have to worry about that anymore! : )

It got colder as the day went on, but the beer and chili dogs helped keep us warm!

After the golf, we went to the K of C for a pork-chop dinner and silent auction.

Yum... pork-chops!


Ross is not amused!


More cutouts... gotta love photoshop!


The real Chuck is the one with legs!


Matt was really hoping he'd win the 50-50 raffle this year... but, Erin actually won it! Funny! He won a fishing bag and we also bid on and got a set of 6 bottles of really nice wine. I can't wait to break into that!

This is the last year that they are going to do the big dinner and silent auction. They are going to scale back the weekend events next year, so that it is just the run/walk and the golf tournament. So, my uncle made a very nice speech thanking everyone for their dedication to the event. It takes a lot of people to make something like this run so smoothly every year!

We drove back to Rochester on Sunday night and crashed at my parents house. Matt and I got up before the sun on Monday morning and drove back to Chicago.

Such a great weekend! When we left, everyone kept saying "we'll see you in a few weeks in the Bahamas"... wow, I can't believe how close the wedding is getting!!!

Click here for more pics from the weekend. Enjoy!

No comments: