Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday night... disappointing game

We went to the sports cafe in the Leidseplein area to watch the Colts game. The place was packed with NFL fans and Italian soccer fans... big game between Napoli and Milan, I guess.



Chuck, June and Chris got to finally try bitterballen... here's the description from Wikipedia - a Dutch meat-based snack, typically containing a mixture of beef (minced or chopped), beef broth, flour and butter for thickening, parsley, salt and pepper. The ingredients are combined and cooked, then refrigerated so the mixture can firm up. Once firm, the filling is then rolled into balls roughly 3 cm in diameter, and battered in a breadcrumb, milk and egg mixture and deep-fried. They are typically served at parties or in the pub with mustard for dipping.

Basically, it's kind of like deep-fried mushy meat... sounds appetizing, right?!?! I didn't take a picture of ours, but here's one I found on the web to give you an idea of what they look like.



The drinking age here must be 16 for beer and 18 for hard alcohol.



Unfortunately, the Colts lost... but the soccer fans were happy. I don't know which team they were rooting for, though.



It seems like everyone was smoking in this place... and not just cigarettes. It was crazy! By the end of the night, I felt like I was suffocating because there was hardly any oxygen in the place... I'm really looking forward to being back in Chicago where the smoking ban is in effect!

2 comments:

LaurenK said...

Did you notice the butt crack in that last picture??

Mich said...

I am impressed that you have been able to get pictures of Matt without his hand in front of his face - nice work!