Rijksmuseum with ice skating rink

Currently, the Rijksmuseum is under construction, but it is still worth the trip inside. We did the audio tour which takes about 1/1.5 hours to get through everything. We saw sculptures, cermonial silver plates, a huge model ship, two more dollhouses similar to the one we saw in Utrecht yesterday, delftware, Rembrandt & Vemeer paintings and many other artists' works.
You aren't allowed to take any pictures in the museum... but here are a two of the famous paintings we saw while there.
Rembrandt's 'Nightwatch' and Vemeer's 'The Milkmaid'
![]() |
After the Rijksmuseum, I had the bright idea of walking to the Albert Cuyp market... only to find out that the only day it is closed is Sunday. Oops! We stopped off at the Groene Vlinder for lunch, where the cook forgot our lunch and we waited over 30 minutes for toasted sandwiches.
I had wanted to check out the Houseboat Museum, so we jumped on a tram over to the Jordaan area of Amsterdam. The Houseboat Museum is ok. You could definitely feel it moving and I don't think I could live on one of those. I guess you get used to it, though. This houseboat used to be a barge that hauled sand, gravel and coal until the 1960's and then was renovated. The living area was pretty large but the ceiling was low... I barely cleared it. The sleeping quarters were tiny! I would have felt so claustrophobic in there.
![]() |

Besides the outdoor urinals I've taken pictures of before... here is another option for men who maybe want a little more privacy. This was right by the entrance to the Houseboat Museum. I took this pic while a guy was in there and the flash went off... oops, busted. So much for being conspicuous.

After that, I showed Dan where Gollem was, that Belgian bar that I love. We had a beer there and then went across the alley to the Cracked Kettle, which sells all sorts of Belgian beers... and has a watch-cat that guards the door. : )
![]() |






No comments:
Post a Comment