Friday, February 22, 2008

Week Wrap-Up

Sorry I have been slacking on the blog this week. The week hasn't been that exciting... you aren't missin' much. : )

Let's see...

Tuesday

I went to the gym. While I was there, I saw this vertically challenged guy who had to be less than 4 ft tall. He was all built up and looked like one of those little plastic He-Man dolls. He was dressed in a tight tank top and those little tight half-short type things. Too bad I don't have a picture. It was quite a sight.

Oh, and when I left the gym, the guy at the reception desk told me (in a somewhat scolding manner) that I had to bring a separate pair of shoes next time to wear while working out... you can't come in with the same shoes on that you want to work out in. I've never been told that before in all the times I've been to Bally's back in Chicago, so I was surprised he said that (and that he acted all offended that I hadn't changed my shoes), especially considering how ghetto I think this gym is. The floors are old wood that's all scratched up and the equipment is pretty old. I could understand it if the gym was like high-class or something. All the streets here are brick and there isn't any grass around anywhere, so it's not like you could track in tar or mud. Whatever.

Wednesday

Seriously boring day... nothing exciting happened. Didn't even make it to the gym.

I did find something out at work about the canal boats in this city... according to a tour boat operator that Jonathan met, if you see a boat that is sinking in a canal and the police have tagged it as "abandoned", and you have means to restore it, you can take it for free. I guess it saves the police money on towing and storing it.

I hadn't seen a boat that was under water until today (Friday)... I'll have to let Jonathan know!



Thursday

I went shopping because I really wanted to pick up a date book (or agenda as they are called here) and I figured they would be on sale now. I went to a few places, but finally hit the jackpot at my favorite dept store (Vroom & Dreesmann). The only problem with these agendas is that they all had the months shown with the days listed on the left and the weeks on the top (so there were 7 rows and 4 columns instead of 4 rows and 7 columns). At first, I thought this wouldn't be bad, but it was on each page and the more I looked at it, the more it bothered me. I finally found ONE that was the other way and I bought that. It was nothing special... looks like a checkbook and it was only 2 euros on sale. Can't complain about that!

Friday (today)

I haven't been very busy at work, so I took Friday (today) off. Actually, quite a few people have been taking time off at my company. The Amsterdam office's work load is right in between two busy times, so people are taking advantage of it. Just another reason why I think they had us stay a few weeks too long.

I thought I would spend my day off walking around Amsterdam and sightseeing, but the weather is SO crappy today that it's just no fun to even walk anywhere. It's raining horizontally!

I went to the gym this morning, it was pretty dead. At one point, I looked around and I was the only person in the treadmill/bike room.

When I left, the girl at the front desk says to me "you sure haven't come into the gym much, have you?!?!" I was thinking... geez, I've been in here on average every other day since I signed up... they must be hard-core here. Well, turns out they haven't been signing me into the computer when I come in, so it looked like I'd only been there twice. Fine, mystery solved... but still, does she really need to make the comment?

I stopped off at the grocery store on my way home. There is a huge Smurf promotion going on right now at the store. Is there a new Smurf movie coming out soon or something? I google'd this and turns out, there is supposed to be a trilogoy of animated 3D Smurf movies coming out with the first one due in 2008 (which is also the 50th anniversary of the Smurfs... really, they are that old???). It also turns out that the Smurfs were created by a guy in Brussels, Belgium... that explains why there were so many Smurf figurines there. Anyway, the grocery store is giving away little Smurf toys if you spend 15 euros or more. You can also collect stamps and get a stuffed Smurf. Too bad I had already done my big grocery shopping before the promotion started. I had just stopped in today for some of the fresh juices they have there... they are SO awesome! Pure fruit smoothies... there's even a little tag on the side that shows how many of each fruit is included in the bottle. I love this stuff!




Sometimes, I wish technology would allow me to do a scratch-n-sniff blog... every time I walk to the front door of my apartment building, I get a huge whiff of pot. I can't even explain how overwhelming it is sometimes... that's where the scratch-n-sniff would come in handy! : ) I live really close to a famous coffeeshop (my door is on the left in the pic below and the coffeeshop is a few buildings to the right). On weekends, it gets even stronger because more people are out and about hitting up the coffeeshop. When I came back from the grocery store today, it was particularly pungent.

No comments: