Saturday, April 4, 2020

Quarantine - Day 23: New Rain Boots

Well, the gorgeous weather of yesterday was replaced by some clouds and rain today. The girls wanted to test out their new rain boots and go jump in some puddles with Daddy. I've been catching up on the blog after the two month hiatus it's been on!




We also went for a little walk in the afternoon. The girls thought they were pretty silly!


Cuties!


We ordered from our favorite Saturday lunch spot, The Harvest. Before all this, we would go there almost every weekend for lunch. When I go in to pick up the food now, the owner Fay always asks about the girls and how they are doing. She has some granddaughters that are just a bit younger than Morgan and Avery. There's a big push to still get carry-out from restaurants to support businesses.

Today, the CDC started recommending everyone wear masks when they go out in public to shop. A few weeks ago, they said the opposite, which was really because the public was panic buying face masks and the doctors, nurses, etc. couldn't find any. People who can sew have been making masks to donate to the hospitals and essential workers. Even nail salons that have shut down because they aren't an essential business have donated their extra face masks. There are some DIY mask videos going around and I was able to make one of those in the event that we are forced to wear them. 

I took my mask with me today when I ran to Target in case they were making people wear them. I had placed an online order for pickup, so I wasn't going to be in the store actually shopping. When I got to Target, they had changed the whole set up. There were sections outside cordoned off for people to line up (6 feet apart of course). One side was for online orders. There was an employee going inside to get the orders and bring them out to you, so you never had to enter the store. The line on the other side was for crowd control. Now that everyone had to stay 6 feet apart from each other, the amount of people allowed inside the store at one time is limited. So, once the new limit is met, the other people have to stay outside until someone leaves the store. 

Also when you are in the store, there are marks on the floor by the checkouts, so you know how far to stand apart from each other while waiting to check out. Matt said that at Whole Foods, they had put up some plexi-glass between the checker and the person checking out since they would have to be closer than 6 feet apart. 

There are limits on how much of certain foods you can buy at one time. It's still hard to find toilet paper, hand sanitizer and cleaning products. Even Amazon has started limiting their sales of these things to "essential" workers and hospitals. (On a side note, Amazon has started delaying deliveries of non-essential items for 3 weeks - hard when I'm trying to get non-essential crap for Easter and Amazon is usually my go-to!)

The next week is supposedly going to be the worst so far in relation to the coronavirus and number of cases/deaths. Chicago is setting up hospitals in old hospitals that have been shut down and has also converted the McCormick place into a hospital in the anticipation of needing more beds than currently available. It's sad that this is where we are today, but I'm thankful that they are being proactive.



No comments: