Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wynand Fockink and my dinner

A place everyone should stop for a quick drink when visiting Amsterdam... Wynand Fockink:



It's a distillery with a small tasting room that originally opened in 1679. The tasting room is very popular... this is where the "slurping" happens. Flavored liquers are served in small cordial glasses that when filled up can't be moved without spilling. So, everyone leans over, puts their hands behind their backs, slurps off the top of the drink and then picks it up to drink the rest... you don't want to miss out on any of the good stuff! : )

Dinner... I am still trying to figure out what to eat here. I've picked a few bad things already from the store. Apparently, I've forgotten what I used to get last year or it just isn't tasting the same to me. Since I don't really cook much and they don't have all the frozen food options that I'm used to in the States, I bought some of these:



Kip Good Noodles (aka Dutch Ramen Noodles)... yeah, I feel like I'm back in college eating these, but until I find some other stuff I like or learn how to use my crazy stove... Good Noodles it is!

It's been sooooo cold here the past couple of days (probably still warmer than Chicago, though)! I have a "fireplace"... I fired up the thing tonight because it is freezing in my apartment. It works great! I'm nice and toasty now! : )



Tonight, I'm planning to do some research on places to visit while I'm over here. We are trying to do a quick trip this weekend, but can't decide on where to go... probably somewhere by train since we've all been flying so much lately.

Oh, I almost forgot... good luck to team Jack and Coke (Matt and Andy) in their Euchre championship game tonight!

No comments: